Sunday, May 24, 2009

in glory

As a little girl I always knew there was something special about me. Not just because my parents were very eager to praise me for any little thing I might do or because they made me feel like I was the most beautiful, smartest, most talented little girl (far from it - a parents' love will do that) - no I was given a very special name. My parents named me Michelle Ellen - the Ellen was after my grandma - my mom's mom - one of the most wonderful women I have ever known. Now she would tell you that there wasn't anything special about her, but I am here to tell you that she was, in a word, REMARKABLE! As much as I knew that I carried a special name I knew that my grandma was a very special woman - I knew that she wasn't like all other grandmas. For starters she was 60 when I was born - a bit older than my friends' grandmas, but I knew Grandma Cook could and would run circles around them. I cannot think of an event, party, performance, birthday, etc that she was not at! If my brothers or cousins and I were participating in something SHE WAS THERE!!!

My grandma was not just remarkable because she invested time in to my life, but because she first loved Jesus Christ! Jesus was her first love and she let us know that by her words, deeds, and actions! When Grandma Cook said she was praying for you - SHE WAS!! She loved her Lord and because of her faithfulness, He blessed her abundantly! Over the years I have seen her faithfulness and been able to see her love for Christ played out. She never wearied of sharing her faith with anyone and everyone - she has lived a life, in my eyes, of faithfulness, godliness, perseverance, wisdom, and joy!

My grandma was beyond special! It has been fun watching her with each great grandchild (now totaling 20) how her eyes would light up as they came in the room. My girls could not wait to see Grammie Great! They loved to sit in her room while she read them stories or played games with them or while she allowed them to carry-out one of their rather lengthy meetings. One thing I have admired about Grandma is how she so willingly loved my husband and friends. All of my friends know my grandma as Grandma Cook - they loved her like their own grandma and she loved them as well. She has always been so interested in what Flavio is up to and has taken a genuine interest in his golf career. When he was pursuing the PGA Tour she watched him play - walking the 18 holes - as he caddies she asks how they are doing. I love that she doesn't just love him because he married her granddaughter, but she genuinely LOVES Flavio!!

Last Saturday, May 16th, my grandma went to be with her Lord. While I still can't get my mind around the fact that she isn't here - it is a glorious picture I have of her in Heaven, worshipping Our Saviour, walking hand-in-hand with Jesus Christ, talking to Him, looking upon His Holy face, asking Him all of the things she has been dying to know. I can only imagine the joy she felt when she saw her Lord, when He embraced her and told her "Well Done good and faithful one". I like to think that after that she found my Jackson, hugged him, kissed him, and told him how much he is loved. Oh what a glorious day it will be when we will all be re-united together in Glory.

God graciously gave us a wonderful week with her - surrounded by family and friends we were able to sing some of her favorite hymns, pray together, laugh, and just enjoy our last times with this precious, precious woman. She had one final request of the Lord, she wanted to see her 20th great grandchild - Peter and Emily were expecting their first baby on May 14th - Scout Magnolia made her arrival on May 15th @ 4:46am - grandma was able to see pictures and video of number 20 and about 24 hours after Scout's arrival grandma entered in to the presence of the Lord.

My grandma will be missed here on this earth, but she has left a tremendous legacy.

Here are a few pictures of my Grandma Cook!

Psalm 92:12-15
The righteous will flourish like a palm tree,
they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;

planted in the house of the LORD,
they will flourish in the courts of our God.

They will still bear fruit in old age,
they will stay fresh and green,

proclaiming, "The LORD is upright;
he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him."




Uncle Herbie (grandma's little brother)


Grandma and Lily - on one of our Scrapbooking Weekends


#20 Scout Magnolia

The two Ellen's - Grammie Great and my Ellie Grace

4 comments:

Jenny M. said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman! We could all be so blessed as to have a life like hers...I'm sure tomorrow will be a great day of celebrating her life here and now in eternity!

Salzwedel Family said...

I just stumbled across your blog and wanted to express my sympathies for the loss of your grandmother. What a joyful day it will be to see the Lord face to face! What a blessing to know your loved one is with Him.

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful to have gotten to be around your dear grandma....just a couple of times, but enough to know that all that you are saying is indeed true! I know it will be hard for you to adjust to this new reality, but it is so wonderful to have her legacy to look up to and to continue...which you already are doing so wonderfully!

Cherie Baker Vann said...

Michelle, I just saw this... I am so sorry to hear about your grandma - I loved her, she was such a hoot!! You have no idea how lucky and blessed you are to have had such a great relationship with her. I'm thinking of you guys today! Cherie