Sunday, October 12, 2008

Jackson Christopher

I don't want to forget a single thing from the last few days and at the same time I wish they had never occurred - Flavio told my mom Friday evening, "this was one of the most difficult days of my life....but I wouldn't trade this one for anything."

I don't journal, but I do blog, so this is probably more for me than anyone else . . . so please bear with me as a mother shares the birth of her precious son, perfect, complete, lacking in nothing!

Thurday, October 9th was our follow-up appointment for the perinatologist, we were, naturally, running late :o). It was Flavio, Lily and I, my mom had taken Ellie to school and was going to work in her classroom for me since we had this appointment. God had been preparing my heart in some way - I knew that there was something wrong. I had even toldFlavio the night before that I just felt like something wasn't right - I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something amiss. . . little did we know. We were ushered in to the doctor's office and sat on the table to prepare for the ultrasound. As soon as he started I KNEW something was wrong - if you have ever seen an ultrasound picture - there is movement - we saw none, but he didn't say anything - he went about taking a few measurements - I couldn't really see the numbers, but I could tell that they seemed to be off from how far along I was. Then he measured the femur - it was measuring about 19 weeks . . . I knew that wasn't right - I even asked Dr. Mullins, "did that say 19 weeks?". At that point he asked if he could speak to me alone, since we had Lily, again I KNEW something was really wrong. I can't remember if he said it first or if I did, but it was apparent that there wasn't a heartbeat! I was completely at a loss for words. It is one thing to "think something is wrong" and a complete other to KNOW something is wrong!!! We knew that this was a possibility, but again, not the same when it actually happens! It was a feeling I pray I will never have to know again!!! The doctor eventually asked if it wasok to bring my husband and baby back in - he was very sensitive to the fact that Lily was with us - I thought that was very thoughtful! I toldFlavio - we cried!! Up to this point we didn't know the sex of our sweet baby, I wanted to know, NOW! Dr. Mullins told us what I had expected, it was a little boy! That was hard!!! I love my girls to no end, but the thought of a son was just . . . heartbreaking!!!! I desired a sweet little boy, but know that God needed our precious Jackson more than we did is of immense comfort! The doctor asked what we wanted to do - we said that we wanted to see Dr.Frields (my OB) as soon as possible - he wouldn't let us leave his office until he had spoken with Dr. Frields - he just wanted to make sure that Dr. Frields and his office were aware of what was going on and would usher us immediately in.

We left in a haze! And yet, there was always the grace of God around us - I can't tell you when or how, but we knew that God was supporting us through this! I was immediately thankful that God had, in some small way, prepared me. He is so gracious!!

Dr. Mullins' office is at St. Joseph's in Burbank so we got in our cars (Flavio was going to go straight to work after the appt.) and Flav headed down Alameda - I wasn't so sure what he was doing - he found a shopping center, left his car there so he could be with me and Lily! I was so thankful for that! I didn't want to drive to Glendale Adventist Medical Center (GAMC) by myself and I suppose he didn't either! We had talked before about what to name our baby and once we found out that he had a heart condition and may be in need of some help I had toldFlav that it was really important to me that our baby's name meant something - so on the way to
GAMC I told Flav that I wanted to find out what name meant something along the lines of a gift from God.

We arrived at Dr. Frields' office - if you know anything about him he is an excellent doctor and therefore he is BUSY (understatement of the century) - they were so kind and rushed us right in so we didn't have to wait with everyone else. Our doctor came in - we talked - He is one of the many gifts that God granted us! What a blessing to have a doctor who fears God! He told us to go over the Labor and Delivery where we would get started on all the things that were to take place.

God took care of EVERY detail - things that we would have never thought of - one was in the form of Flavio's best friend Jon. Jon and his family moved to Chicago a few years back - he was here for two days on business, Wednesday and Thursday!!! That was not a coincidence!!! God planned that - my husband needed his dear friend! Along with Jon, Heath came by - what a blessing to have these dear friends by our side at this time - we did our fair share of laughing and crying together! We love them so dearly!

Another precious gift was our nurse on Thursday - Bethany! She had been one of my nurses with Lily - her husband is studying to be a pastor and attends The Master's Seminary! Again, not coincidental that she had had to call in sick on both of her regular days because her little girl wasn't feeling well and when they asked her to come in on Thursday she was available! She was awesome!!

Because I had delivered Ellie Grace via c-section and Lily was a vbac (vaginal birth after cesarean) we had a choice to make - how was I going to deliver? (Side note - in the state of California if you deliver after 20 weeks it is considered a stillborn - we had a lot to learn.) This was a rather difficult decision to make - do we take the one that would result in a quick birth and yet have a long recovery or do we take the potentially longer approach of inducing labor (this could take anywhere from 6 hours to 3 days!) with the shorter recovery. Flavio was up for the c-section he didn't want to see me in any pain and wanted to "be done" and move on to the next step - I was torn! I could see his side, but I didn't really want to have to endure the after effects of major surgery. My dad had the idea that we should start with the induction and see what happened - my doctor had said we could change our minds at any time if we wanted - so that seemed to be the way to go. After about an hour or so of deliberating we asked our sweet nurse, Bethany, to order up the medication and get the anesthesiologist here ASAP! Under the circumstances I wanted to feel NO pain!!!

Again, we could see God's grace abounding! My cousin, Susan, who is really more like my sister and best friend, was able to be there the entire time - she and her husband have five children - her parents and brother and sister-in-law and nephews were in Europe leaving her with no babysitter - until she called her husband and found out that he was on his way home for the day and going to be home on Friday as well!!! Is God awesome or what?!?!?! She was with us the entire time!

One of the most precious moments during this entire time was right before our baby was born - Dr. Frields had said it would be about 30 minutes longer - my parents, Susan, and Flavio gathered around me and my dad prayed - a precious prayer from a father watching his daughter and son-in-law go through something so excruciating and the prayer of a sweet grandfather waiting to meet his grandson - that was a special time! Susan began singing "How Great Thou Art" - a time that I will treasure in my heart forever!

On Friday, October 10th at about 2:15pm we welcomed our first son Jackson Christopher Castro! He was, in our eyes, PERFECT! He had ten fingers and ten perfect tiny toes! He was PERFECT! He was 9 1/2 inches long and weighed 10 ounces. He was a tiny, perfectly put together little boy!

We are grateful to Our God and Father for giving us 5 1/2 months with our Little Jackson and praise Him that he is running on streets of gold rather than suffering here on earth!

This was awesome . . . Flavio had liked the name Jackson - I had constantly said it was too popular! I knew that the name "jackson" meant "son of Jack", but get this - Jack is derived from John and guess what John means??? Given by God! So amazing! See, God took care of EVERY detail! And Christopher means Christ Bearer! His name seemed so perfect! God planned this pregnancy and not us! We weren't planning to get pregnant at that time, but God's ways are higher than ours - His plan is perfect!!

I am sure that I have forgotten some things - maybe another blessing from the Lord!

We don't quite know how to thank all of you who have been and continue pray for us, who have called, emailed, sent text messages, or come in person - you have a special place in our hearts and are so grateful for each and every one of you! What a gift you are to our family!

Psalm 139:13-16
For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there were none of them.

We do not know why God chose to take our son home with Him, but we DO know that His ways are higher than ours and that He gave us our little Jackson as a gift, for a time! Our prayer is that, if you do not have a personal relationship with the God of the Universe, Almighty God, that YOU WOULD!!! Life is short and we have but one opportunity, this lifetime, to choose to serve God or not to! If you choose not to serve God then your eternity is bleak! It is separation from a merciful God and it is eternity in Hell! If you choose to know God, honor God, serve God, have a relationship with God, then your eternity is bright! It is an eternity in Heaven! John 3:16 is clear that God sent His one and only son, Jesus Christ, to this earth to die for OUR sins - yes, ALL OF OUR SINS! We are all sinners! Romans tells us that we have all sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God! We all deserve death, but God, in His graciousness, sent His son, Jesus, as our sacrifice - to take away OUR sins! That is awesome! There could be nothing greater than to know because of our sons death you have questioned your eternity and chosen to make Jesus Christ the Lord of your life! If you have ANY questions about the Word of God and what it has to say about your eternity we would be honored to talk to you!
Romans 11:33-36
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscurtable his ways!
"For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?"
"Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?"
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
TO HIM BE THE GLORY FOREVER. AMEN.
Romans 8:28
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
Thank you for praying for our family!


13 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, well let me dry my eyes so I can see my computer screen... I'm so sorry friends for your loss, but rejoice in Jackson's gain, to be with Christ in perfection. I know how heavy your hearts feel and I will uphold your family in prayer as you "adjust"(whatever that may mean) in the next few weeks. Thanks for being an example of truly trusting in our Sovereign God. Though it seems so long now, thank the Lord it will be like a dot on eternity when we all get home too! Love you and praying...!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
My heart aches for you. What you have been through is so hard. And yet, I am so amazed by your testimony of God's strength, grace, mercy and love. We know all of this will be used for your good and His glory and it is so great that you can rejoice in that. I will be praying for you and your family. Much love,
Andrea

Jenny M. said...

Michelle,
What an amazing testimony you and your family are going to be of God's love and faithfulness to His children. Your words blew me away. As a mom, my heart aches for you but as you said Jackson is in the arms of our Heavenly Father. There's no better place. We are praying for you guys and sending all our love!

Jenny

coolskool mom said...

Michelle,
I have been praying for you and your family since Susan asked me to pray. You and Flavio are so strong and a huge testimony of God at work in your lives. I will continue to pray for you and your family as you continue to recover. I too rejoice with you that your little boy is in heaven already.

Charif

Anonymous said...

Michelle and Flav-
Olivia and I are so sorry for your loss, yet are so blessed by your strength in Christ. Thank you so much for writing all of that during such a trying time. It was emotional and written by a mommy with lots of love to give and burden to bear. We will still keep you and Flav in our prayers. As I went through the trying time during my surgery, I read this verse. It was very inspiring and helpful. 1 Peter 5:10 - And the God of all Grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast. What a great verse! Starting off of by stating how gracious Christ is, he reminds us next how He calls us to eternity with Him and all His splendor. Then, reminds us that we WILL suffer and hurt in our lifetimes (yet only for a short time), an how He will ultimately RESTORE us, and make us stronger than before. So comforting to have strength in Christ and Him as a comfort. The Lord is working amazing things in your and your family's life, and we will continue to pray for you as Christ carries out His perfect design for your family and your faith. Love you guys.

Corey, Olivia, Caleb, and Emily

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite songs and I thought I would share it with you:

WITH HOPE
Steven Curtis Chapman

this is not at all how
we thought it was supposed to be
we had so many plans for you
we had so many dreams
and now you've gone away
and left us with the memories of your smile
and nothing we can say
and nothing we can do
can take away the pain
the pain of losing you but

we can cry with hope
we can say goodbye with hope
'cause we know our goodbye is not the end oh no
and we can grieve with hope
'cause we believe with hope
there's a place by god's grace
there's a place where we'll see your face again
we'll see your face again

and never have i known
anything so hard to understand
and never have i questioned more
the wisdom of god's plan
but through the cloud of tears
i see the father's smile and say well done
and i imagine you
where you wanted most to be
seeing all your dreams come true
'cause now you're home
and now you're free and

we have this hope as an anchor
'cause we believe that everything
god promised us is true so

we wait with hope
and we ache with hope
we hold on with hope
we let go with hope

Anonymous said...

Your strength through this suffering is such a testimony and brings such glory to the Lord. Keep holding onto Him! I know many people are being blessed through you! Love you and praying for you.

Julie said...

Michelle...I can barely see my typing for all the tears. I haven't cried this hard in a while! But although many of my tears are because my heart aches for your loss, most of them are for you and how amazing your faith is and how awesome our God is. Thank you for sharing your story, and Jackson's story. God has already used your situation to glorify Him. I will continue to be praying for you and your family. :)

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
With tears in my eyes, I rejoice with you in God's sovereign grace. Your testimony throughout this whole pregnancy has been so encouraging! I know God will greatly use this trial in your life to encourage others and possible bring someone to Himself.
You and your family are officially on my prayer list!!
God Bless You,
Stephanie Lacock

Kelli I. said...

I read this earlier but couldn't see past the tears in my eyes..so I'll try again. Thank you, dear friends, for your faithfulness during this most difficult time. We have been encouraged to trust in God's plan for our lives because of your faith and commitment to our Lord. Although we didn't have the privilege of meeting Jackson Christopher on this earth, we know that we will spend eternity with him...and that thought brings joy. Praise God that this world is not the end...May the joy of our future home bring you comfort and peace.

Our heart aches at your loss and we wish we were there to help you and hug you...but just know that our love for you reaches across the miles and our prayers for your family will continue.

Hoping to see you soon,
The Iverson Family

Tilly said...

Michelle...
This was so difficult to imagine on Thursday what you and Flavio had to face...but Dad and I were blessed to not only be with you the entire time...but to see you praising God, relying on Him for His strength, His peace and His grace. James tells us that "faith without works is dead!" Your faith is anything but....
you kept saying, "we just want God to be glorified in even this!"....and then Dr. Frields was so sweet when he said..., "you already are glorifying Him"....and you were!!!
Thank you for allowing Dad and I to share in your sorrow...and to share in your healing!!!
We love you both...and we love our little Jackson!!!
Love, Mom

Kelli said...

Michelle, I have been lifting you up in prayer. Thank you for the reminder that God's ways are higher than ours. Thank you for your testimony.

John and Daisy said...

Michelle & Flavio,
I saw your website through the Kostjuk's and am so blown away by all you endured these last months. God must love you a whole lot to test your faith at such an amazing level. Your testimony has not been shaken by the worst of tragedies but has led you to your knees before your first love. I pray that God will continue to give you the grace to persevere and the comfort to heal.
Love,John & Daisy Cox
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." 2 Cor. 1:3-4