Sunday, December 16, 2007

lily, let me hold you longer

My poor little Lily is sick. She has a cold - complete with bright neon green boogies, a lovely cough, and some congestion - I always feel so bad when they are sick - especially at Lily's age - she can't really tell me what hurts or how she feels.

Anyways, yesterday she woke up from her nap, but I could tell that she was still a bit sleepy so we headed downstairs to snuggle on the couch - before I knew it I heard the familiar sucking sound of a sleeping little girl trying to suck her thumb and breathe all at the same time. We sat there snuggled together for about 30 minutes . . . she slept and I kissed and held my baby as tight as I could. I was given a book at Lily's baby shower about the lasts - Let Me Hold You Longer by Karen Kinsbury - we remember the firsts - first smile, first giggle, first foods, first words, first . . ., but we don't really remember the lasts. I remember roughly when Ellie stopped using her pacifier, I remember taking her bottle away at two, but there are so many lasts that happen without realizing. As I sat there holding Lily I just wanted to freeze time - would this be a last too? I certainly hope not, but the opportunities to hold my baby while she falls asleep listening to my heartbeat are becoming fewer and fewer. I remember the days when she would just fall asleep in my arms, on my shoulder, next to my chest . . . what a special memory that I will always treasure.

When Ellie was born I didn't want her to grow up - but, she has and I have loved each new stage more than the last, but why does it have to happen so quickly?!?!?! I feel with Lily I am more aware of the rapid changes - she wants to be just like her sister - do whatever her big sister does, if the cousins are jumping, so must she. I know she has an intense desire to grow up and be like the big kids in the family, but yesterday was a wonderful moment to remind me that she is still my baby!!!!

3 comments:

Kelli I. said...

My sweet mom-in-law gave me that book. It is a great reminder for us to treasure each moment with our children. Mine are growing too fast and as much as I love each new stage, I always miss the last. We will see you soon!

Kelli

michelle said...

she gave it to me too and warned me to read it when I was alone. I didn't comply - too anxious to read it and totally sobbed my eyes out - lily was only weeks old so that didn't help.
can't wait to see you guys!!!

Kelli said...

Michelle, you are so right. It makes me appreciate the time alone that I have with Ivy instead of just focusing on when another baby will come. You have reminded me of how grateful I am....and your right, they hardly ever let you snuggle anymore!