Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Alyssa is FIVE!!!! Oh my!!!

Well, today is Alyssa's 5th birthday - my little niece is FIVE! I really can't believe that five years have gone by so quickly! I remember getting the call that Laura was in labor - I was pregnant with my precious girl (although we didn't know we were having a girl) and couldn't wait to meet my little niece! My brother was going to be a daddy!!! At the time, a completely unbelievable thought, not because I didn't think he would be great, just because it seemed so weird that the little brother I used to play with and get in trouble with was now responsible for a life! He has, as I knew he would, exceeded my expectations of what type of father he would be. He is loving, firm, kind, humorous, strict, gracious, and so many other things. It is really fun to watch my brother as a dad. Of course, he is only half the equation - my sister-in-law is such a wonderful mother and makes my brother a better parent for her yin to his yang. They are a great team and are raising such a wonderful little girl in my niece (and of course, in Parker and Reagan).

Last night, Ellie and I met Laura and Alyssa at McDonald's for an intimate birthday party- seeing that we were really the only healthy ones. It was really fun and I know Ellie had a blast!


How old is Alyssa? FIVE!

Opening up her gift - we got her a gift card to The Nail Forum, I know, sounds so grown up, but the girls love it when we get gift cards and for my birthday Dan and Laura had given me a GC to The Nail Forum and Alyssa came over to me and said that we should go on a date there, so we (and Ellie) are going to go on a date to get nails done and lunch. You know, what big girls do!


Dear Alyssa,
I will never forget standing next to the door waiting to hear the first little cry of my niece! I remember holding you and anticipating my own little baby, knowing what fun you two would have as you grew up. That really seems as though it were yesterday and here you are such a grown up little girl. I know that we all told you to stop growing up so quickly, but I have to admit I am enjoying watching you grow - I don't like to see the time passing so rapidly, but I love watching you and seeing your little mind work. I am so proud of you and proud to be your auntie! You are so mature and eager to learn and such a sweet big sister. Not only are you sweet to your brother and sister, but you are so kind and gentle with your cousins, they love you very much.
I pray that you will grow to love Jesus with your heart and soul that He will be all that you desire and that He will use you in a mighty way.
I love you dear girl!
Do you think you could slow down a little???? I think we should go with Ellie's idea that this is it - no more birthdays, but somehow I think you will both change your minds.
Happy Birthday!
Love,
Auntie Shell

No comments: